I always ask the ladies who come to see me to check their basal body temperature each morning as not only does it tell you retrospectively when they’ve ovulated each month but it also tells me if their thyroid is slightly sluggish. If you see that your temperature is consistently on the low side ie: below 36.2 degree’s, and you also have several of the following symptoms, you could have an issue with your thyroid which could be the reason behind why you are not able to conceive:
- Thinning hair (especially the lateral third of your eyebrows)
- Difficulty loosing weight
- Cold hands and feet
- Dry skin or signs of eczema or psoriasis
- A Thick tongue with “scalloping” of the tongue (caused by edema and swelling of the tongue, squeezing it against your teeth making teeth marks around the tongue’s edge)
- A slow heart rate
- Carotoderma (yellow skin) – this is caused by the inability to convert beta-carotene into vitamin A (you need adequate thyroid hormone to do this)
- Bumps on the back of the upper arms – caused by buildup of beta-carotene under the skin)
- Myxedema / “non-pitting” edema or swelling of the ankles that “bounces” right back when you push on it similar to the way a balloon would bounce back if you pushed on it. This is not the same thing as “pitting-edema” that stays “indented” for a few seconds after you remove your finger from the skin. Pitting edema is caused by water retention (which has multiple causes).
- Decreased deep tendon reflexes (such as when your doctor bangs on your knees with a reflex hammer). A “delayed return phase” of the ankle jerk reflex is a pretty sensitive indicator of low thyroid.
In my clinic I often see other hormone imbalances along with the symptoms of a low thyroid. For example, the adrenal glands (adrenalin, DHEA and cortisol), imbalances of sex steroid hormones (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and DHEA), and insulin resistance. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are common and can be both the cause and effect of low thyroid function. Toxicities of heavy metals such as mercury and cadmium can affect thyroid function. All of which can be measured with a hair mineral analysis (click here to find out more). A low thyroid can also predispose you to infections of candida (yeast) and other bad bacteria and parasites.
If you suspect your thyroid is a little sluggish I recommend you start taking the following product:
Viridian Kelp 600mg (1 daily as directed on the bottle) here is a link to the product:
If your symptoms from the list above do not improve then I recommend you start homeopathic treatment to address the thyroid imbalance. Click here to contact me.