As I’ve mentioned in previous posts breakfast is the most important meal of the day for sustaining your energy and keeping your hormones balanced. So here is a wonderful recipe for home made granola. Once you’ve made a batch up you could even eat it while on the train into work if you have an early start and no time in the morning. Mix with some fresh organic berries and organic natural yogurt for the perfect start to your day. This recipe does contain some natural sugar (i.e.: honey and dried fruit) so if you are on the 6 week anti-candida diet then it wouldn’t be appropriate but afterwards it makes a great alternative, easy breakfast.
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 4 cups oats
- ¾ cup unsweetened dried flaked coconut
- ? cup chopped or sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ? cup raw honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup assorted dried fruit for example: apricots, raisins, cranberries, cherries, pineapple, dates.
- Preheat the oven to 160/170 degrees C/ 325degrees F.
- Place the oats in a large mixing bowl. Add the coconut flakes, nuts and seeds and stir to combine.
- Place the honey and coconut oil in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute and remove from heat. Stir in almond.
- Pour honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir until coated.
- Spread the granola out on a large baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring every few minutes to prevent burning. Cool completely then add the dried fruits and stir.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nuts and seeds are often quite expensive especially organic ones so why not try ordering yours in larger quantities from Tree Harvest a company based in Devon, their products are responsibly sourced and really reasonably priced, much cheaper than anything you will find on the high street. Call them for their latest catalogue, their number is 01297 552 977 and their website is: https://www.tree-harvest.com/