Are you making decisions from emotion or wisdom?
On a fertility journey, it’s so easy to get completely caught up in the emotion of it all. It might be a doctor telling you that your only hope is to use donor eggs or a string of friends announcing they are pregnant to send you into an emotional tailspin.
The problem you have is you can’t be in your emotional brain and your rational brain at the same time. This is a simple fact of biology. To make good empowering decisions you need to have the skills to be able to think rationally, rather than react emotionally. The pre-frontal cortex of the brain is the rational part of the brain and the Limbic system is the emotional part. So many women on a fertility journey are just permanently stuck in the limbic system which of course is understandable.
The key to changing this is learning strategies to help, for example:
- Release your tight grip on trying to control “getting pregnant”
- Practice self-care for relaxation and balance
- Let go of needing to know exactly when this is going to happen for you and start trusting that it will happen, you just don’t know when.
When you’re thinking rationally not only do you make wiser decisions you can also hear your intuition which is always guiding you as to what your next best step is on your journey to motherhood.
Are YOU at the top of your to-do list? If the answer is no this must change. To become a mother you must mother yourself first and that involves attending to your every need.
- Are you receiving the support you need right now? If not who can you go to, to get that support?
- Do you have a tool kit of strategies to help you cope with the stress of infertility right now?
- Are you cutting yourself off from your friends and family without even realising it?
When you surrender to this journey you can make better, wiser decisions.